285 Columbus Lofts
285 Columbus Avenue
Boston, MA 02116
Boston Neighborhood: Back Bay
Status: Construction Complete (Resale Only)
Number of Units: 63
Price Range: $585,000 – $1,500,000
Concierge Building: Yes
Description: Rehabilitation by Boston Residential Group of the former American Red Cross building (originally constructed, and called the Earle Building, in 1924 of brick and reinforced concrete in the Classic Revival style) on the border between the Back Bay and the South End, adds 63 loft-style condos to Columbus Avenue in a development called 285 Columbus Lofts.
The 63 lofts range in size from 753 to 1,579 square feet, and in price from the high $500’s to $1,500,000+. The development is served by two elevators and a concierge on duty seven days per week. Kitchens are entirely custom, and are designed by Rosario, who did such local Boston projects as Atelier 505 and the Residences at the InterContinental. 285 Columbus Lofts will house the following types of units:
- One-bedroom one-bathroom (750-900 square feet)
- One-bedroom plus a study, and two-bedroom two-bathroom (1000-1300 square feet)
- Two-bedroom plus a study two-bathroom (1500+ square feet) – note, one per floor
Views from units are influenced by both floor level and position (marked by unit type) within the building. There are nine (9) different unit types. Unit types 1 – 3 overlook the Back Bay T Stop and Bus Station, unit type 4 faces northwest and offers views overlooking Clarendon Avenue and partially the Back Bay T Stop and Bus Station, unit type 5 is the corner unit in the building boasting panoramic views over both Clarendon Street and Columbus Avenue and the South End, and unit types 6 – 9 overlook Columbus Avenue and will offer the best sunlight in the building with views of the adjacent South End. Examples of unit pricing include the following.
- $575,000 – one-bedroom, one-bathroom, 873 square feet ($659 per square foot) on the 4th floor, a unit type 1 on the northwest side of the building overlooking the Back Bay T Stop with some views of the John Hancock Tower.
- $775,500 – two-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,121 square feet ($691 per square foot) on the 3rd floor, a unit type 2 on the northwest side of the building overlooking the Back Bay T Stop with some views of the John Hancock Tower.
- $1,060,500 – two-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,339 square feet ($792 per square foot) on the 4th floor, a unit type 9 on the southeast side of the building overlooking Columbus Avenue with southeasterly views over the South End.
- $1,545,500 – two-bedroom, two-bathroom, 1,578 square feet ($979 per square foot) on the 8th (top) floor, a unit type 5 on the corner of the building offering panoramic east to west downtown city views of the John Hancock Tower and the Financial District in the background.
Living spaces are high-end, with European finishes, walnut woods, and the use of top of the line appliances and fixtures such as Wolf, Sub-Zero, Bosch, Grohe, Toto, Ann Sacks, and Porcher. Lofts are accompanied by garage parking (discounted long-term lease), a common roof deck, and extra storage, along with a 9,000 square foot restaurant on the ground floor.